Sam Maguire Plaque
Hand Made in Ireland with cold cast bronze on a beautiful wood plaque. Sam Maguire (1879 – 1927), is chiefly remembered as the eponym of the Sam Maguire Cup, given to the ALL-Ireland Champions of Gaelic Football. The Cup is named after Sam Maguire, an influential figure in the London GAA and a former footballer, a group of his friends formed a committee in Dublin under the chairmanship of Dr Pat McCartan from Carrickmore, Co.Tyrone, to raise funds for a permanent commemoration of his name. They decided on a cup to be presented to the GAA. The Association were proud to accept the Cup. At the time it cost £300. In today’s terms that sum is equivalent to €26,000. The cup is modelled on the Ardagh Chalice, and was first presented to the Kildare team in 1928 after defeating Cavan.
Size: (9 1/4” x 12” approx.)